For some recommendations of safe boating practices see our Canoe Safety 101 which will expand on some of the following tips:
- Make sure to leave your travel plans with someone
- Read the river ahead of you
- Watch the weather – getting caught by a sudden wind and waves in open water is a common source of accidents – be aware of the weather at all times
- Avoid open water – stick to the shore
- Load your canoe with the weight distributed evenly side to side and front to back keeping it as low as possible in the canoe
- Don’t overload a boat – find out its capacity.
- Make sure that you have some clothing in a dry bag so that you can be guaranteed to have something dry and warm to wear in case you tip. Hypothermia is no joke.
- Know what to do if you tip. Have baggage organized and secured with a rope so things will stay together etc.